A world in which healthy land and communities are celebrated by all, leading to equitable food systems, a sense of place, and care for the environment now and in generations to come.
To develop a learning center that works toward strengthening and building linkages between urban and rural areas, empowering communities while creating strategies and infrastructure to sustain community and environment. This will be carried out using a diversity of tactics focused on grassroots and participatory practices.
The motto for the HMS is “Healthy Land, Healthy Communities.”
Since 2001, the HMS has consulted and worked with local residents of Clearwater, Manitoba, to develop an action plan for long-term rural environmental and economic sustainability. This work has consisted of volunteer-organized community meetings; vision, mission and objective workshops; and the development of eco-agricultural education and training at the local elementary school (now the Harvest Moon Learning Centre).
The HMS Board of Directors
Effective Jan. 2015
- Co-Chair: Robert Guilford, Clearwater MB
- Co-Chair: Molly McCracken, Winnipeg MB
- Treasurer: Vivian Gosselin, Winnipeg MB
- Secretary: Mika Cavers, Pilot Mound MB
- Festival rep: Cory Bellhouse, Winnipeg MB
- Local Food Initiative rep: Michelle Schram, Cartwright MB
- Education rep: Clint Cavers, Pilot Mound MB
- Facilities rep: Chris Lillies, Winnipeg MB
- Rural rep: Joe Gardiner, Clearwater MB
- Urban rep: Julia Laforge, Winnipeg MB
- Member At Large: Evan Bowness, Winnipeg MB
- Member At Large: Craig Boychuk, Clearwater MB
To contact the board of directors please email: email@example.com.
Harvest Moon Festival
The HMS saw the need to celebrate rural communities and as a result has held a festival every year since 2002. The Harvest Moon Festival is held annually in the fall and has been successful in bringing together urban and rural people to share in locally producer food, music and fun.
Harvest Moon Local Food Initiative
The Harvest Moon Local Food Initiative (HMLFI) is an effort to create a more local, fair and sustainable food system right here in Manitoba. Indeed this responsibility must be shared between farmers and eaters. We are committed to raising healthy animals and plants and enabling you to have access to safe, nutritious and tasty food all year round.